A sustainable business requires that we meet and exceed both customer and consumer expectations. In each of our four home markets and in many of our export markets consumer demand for higher welfare standards continues to grow. Meeting these demands is an important element of our licence to produce.
The good quality of our products starts on the farm and at the slaughterhouse. Care and respect for the animals and nature are crucial for ensuring that we can produce high-quality products and create value for our customers and for consumers – and at the end of the day for our owners.
We are committed to driving up animal welfare standards within the business and with our suppliers. The globally recognised Five Freedoms (as defined by the Farm Animal Welfare Council) form the core of our own farming supply chain animal welfare standards and is a requirement of all of our suppliers.
- Freedom from hunger and thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express normal behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and the company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring conditions and care which avoid mental suffering
Danish Crown has achieved and maintained a Tier 2 ranking for animal welfare from the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare (BBFAW). In 2020, of 150 global food companies analysed, Danish Crown was one of only 12 food producing companies showing leadership on farm animal welfare.